Amazon.com Widgets
Bronx News
Dec 6, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: Two Bronx babies nearly die from taking opioids


Two Bronx toddlers are hospitalized after they nearly died from taking opioids carelessly left out in the open, police said.


In the most severe case, a 1-year-old girl took a near-fatal sample of her heroin using dad’s stash — requiring three blasts of Narcan to revive the overdosing child, police said.


The wasted Edgardo Rodriguez, 20, confessed his drug use after investigators found white powder on the comforter of his bed and 1.7 grams of heroin in his pants last Saturday morning.


“I was using heroin in the bed before my kids laid down,” Rodriguez was quoted as telling police. “Some of it spilled on the bed. It made a mess.

Opioid Addiction FAQ: Experts’ guide to the hard facts


“I went to sleep. I don’t know how my daughter got in contact with the residue on the bed because I was high.”


His daughter, who had celebrated her first birthday just six days earlier, remained in critical condition Tuesday in the pediatric intensive care unit at the Montefiore Medical Center.


And it could have been worse: The doped-up dad also had his 2-year-old son Lebron in the bed with them.


The two small siblings were on the bed with Rodriguez shortly after midnight Saturday when he took the heroin and fell asleep. Rodriguez said he tried to hide what was left of the smack under his pillow.

Bronx teacher’s overdose death prompts Narcan push in schools


Rodriguez woke up around 5 a.m. because the little girl started crying, but instead of checking on her, he simply rolled over and went back to sleep, the court papers charged.


Rodriguez and his mother, Lisbeth Almodovar, later found the child struggling to breathe at around 8 a.m. The little girl was unresponsive when taken to the hospital an hour later.


Rodriguez, who lives in York, Pa., was charged with drug possession, reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child. He was held on ,000 bail.


The 1-year-old girl was joined Tuesday at Montefiore by a another tiny overdose victim.

Homeless shelter staff will learn to use Narcan for overdoses


Doctors in the emergency room at St. Barnabas Hospital had saved the life of 18-month-old Alaiya Gonzalez early Monday morning with a double-shot of naloxone.


The girl’s panicked parents rushed her for help after she went into seizures in the middle of the night, according to police. She was transferred to Montefiore, where she remained hospitalized Tuesday.


Mom Samantha Gonzalez recounted how she and the baby’s father were walking with the girl through their Bronx neighborhood late Sunday night.


The child plucked a baggie off the ground — and stuck it in her mouth, the mother told police.

Walgreens pharmacies to sell opioid overdose medication Narcan


A white substance immediately began oozing from little Alaiya’s lips, with dad Mieses Balladoli wiping her face clean, cops said.


But the child suffered a seizure a short time later and was rushed to the hospital.


The NYPD and the city Administration for Children’s Services were both investigating the circumstances, and no arrests were made.


Alaiya was “doing very good, but I can’t discuss the case,” her 23-year-old mom told the Daily News. “There’s an open ACS case and they told me I couldn’t talk about it.”

SEE IT: Florida deputy revives overdose victim with Narcan


A police source indicated there was some skepticism over the tale of a toddler walking through a Bronx neighborhood with her parents shortly before midnight.


“ACS doesn’t believe their story,” the source said. “Nobody really believes it, but there’s nothing to indicate it didn’t happen that way.”


An ACS spokesman issued the same statement about both Bronx overdoses: “The safety and well-being of New York City’s children is our top priority. ACS and NYPD are actively investigating the situation.”

With Andy Mai

Tags:
heroin
opioid nation

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet


Two Bronx babies nearly die from taking opioids

Leave a comment