Amazon.com Widgets
Browsing articles in "Bronx News"
Nov 29, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: Two arrested in Bronx rape; cops seeks three other suspects

Sorry, readability was unable to parse this page for content.

Continue reading »

Nov 29, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: Thieves bust into elderly man’s apartment using exterminator ruse


Three robbers posed as exterminators and forced their way into an elderly man’s Bronx apartment, then stole ,600 cash, cops said Tuesday.


The bandits knocked on their 82-year-old victim’s door on Mahan Ave. at Buhre Ave. in Middletown just after 6:30 a.m. Sunday.


When he opened up, they pushed their way in, grabbed the victim by his throat, and searched his house for cash, cops said.


The man doesn’t like keeping his cash in the bank, so he had a ,600 wad in one of his pockets, police sources said.


Cops released grainy surveillance photos of one of the suspects Tuesday, and are asking anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers at (800) 577-TIPS.

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Continue reading »

Nov 28, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: HRA worker, wife busted for swiping $225G in welfare benefits


ALBANY — A city Human Resources Administration worker and his wife were charged Tuesday with stealing more than 5,000 in government welfare benefits.


State investigators said Omar Jaata, a 42-year-old Bronx resident and an HRA employee since 2010, used his position to create multiple bogus accounts and obtain nearly 3,000 in food stamp benefits.


Jaata’s wife, Nyima, 37, also failed to disclose her husband’s employment with the city and underreported her own income when she sought benefits, allowing her to steal ,000 in food stamp and Medicaid benefits, officials said.


“The theft of welfare benefits meant for New York families most in need is egregious at any level, but these defendants’ actions, particularly with the husband’s position as a public employee entrusted with administering these funds, makes this case particularly abhorrent,” said State Inspector General Catherine Leahy Scott. “In essence, Mr. Jaata’s unfettered access at HRA enabled him to simply distribute taxpayer funds at a whim.”

Peace officer investigated for going rogue


Omar Jaata was charged with conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud, theft of government funds and aggravated identity theft. He was released on a 0,000 bond.


Nyima Jaata was charged with two counts of theft of government funds. She was released without bail.

Tags:
fraud
identity theft

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Continue reading »

Nov 28, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: Letitia James starts own probe into NYCHA’s lead paint scandal


Public Advocate Letitia James has launched her own investigation into the Housing Authority’s failure to perform required lead paint inspections of its aging apartments.


This brings to three the number of pending inquiries regarding NYCHA’s lead paint testing.


Two weeks ago, the city Department of Investigation revealed that the authority has for several years falsely certified it was handling all required inspections.


And the Manhattan U.S. Attorney for the last two years has been looking at whether NYCHA misled the government about what it’s done to maintain its 178,000 apartments.


Last week, James wrote to NYCHA Chairwoman Shola Olatoye and city Health Commissioner Dr. Mary Bassett demanding a long list of records.


“The bare facts of NYCHA’s failure to conduct lead inspections and the false reporting that followed are unacceptable on their own terms, but I have also found subsequent explanations of these failures to be singularly unpersuasive,” James wrote to Olatoye.


After the DOI report surfaced, she summoned Olatoye to her office to question her about the inspection failures. Hours after the meeting, James called for Olatoye to resign.


Mayor de Blasio, who appointed Olatoye in early 2014, backed her up, calling James’ resignation demand a “cheap stunt.” James has been talked about as a potential mayoral candidate in 2021.


On Monday, de Blasio spokeswoman Olivia Lapeyrolerie wrote in an emailed response, “The City has already provided this information to DOI and the U.S. Attorney, and will discuss this matter further with the Public Advocate.”


James demanded data on all NYCHA lead paint inspections since January 2013, and all communications between NYCHA and the Manhattan U.S. Attorney’s office.


And she requested NYCHA’s communications with the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD). HUD, which provides NYCHA with nearly 70% of its operating budget and almost all its capital funding, requires NYCHA to certify in writing that it’s complying with all local, state and federal laws and regulations.


James also sought Health Department records about children living in NYCHA apartments who’ve tested positive for high levels of lead.


NYCHA says 202 children living in 133 apartments have tested with high blood-lead levels from 2010 through 2015. But they claim these high blood-lead levels can only be linked directly to NYCHA apartments in only 18 of those children.

Tags:
daily news exclusives
letitia james
nycha
mary bassett
bill de blasio

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Continue reading »

Nov 28, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: Cops ID suspects wanted for beating man to death in Bronx


Police on Monday identified two suspects wanted in the fatal beating of a man on a Bronx sidewalk.


Police released photos of Emmanuel Gonzalez, 30, and Raymond Valdez, 28, in connection with the Sept. 30 beating death of 40-year-old Pedro Adrono in Parkchester.


The beatdown was caught on video, and security footage shows two men storming up to Adorno on Taylor Ave. near Westchester Ave., cops said. They repeatedly punched and kicked the victim in the face and head.


Police found Adorno sprawled on the sidewalk at about 4:50 p.m. Rescuers first thought he had suffered a heart attack, but soon realized he had a massive head injury.

Video emerges of men who fatally beat man, 40, in the Bronx


Police ask anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers at (800) 577-TIPS.

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Continue reading »

Nov 27, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: SEE IT: MTA bus catches fire in the Bronx with commuters on board

Sorry, readability was unable to parse this page for content.

Continue reading »

Nov 26, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: Cabbie in machete attack lost thumb while defending passengers


When livery driver Richard Deleon’s car and passengers were attacked by a knife-wielding teen, he did everything he could to protect his three passengers — and his head.


“It happened very fast,” Deleon, 47, recalled of the Nov. 19 horror during a press conference Sunday outside the Bronx district attorney’s office. “I tried to stop the attackers.”


For the father of four, the harrowing episode began near Lehman College as his vehicle was stopped at a red light on Jerome Ave. near E. 198th St. early in the morning.


There, two 17-year-olds, Juan Carlos Sanchez and Kenneth Guzman, tried to commandeer his cab, according to authorities.

Teens attack bodega worker then cut off cab driver’s thumb


Sanchez, armed with a machete, cut one of the passengers, before Deleon says he desperately pulled him away.


“I raised my hand and they were aiming at my head with the machete and instead they took my (right thumb),” he said in Spanish. He’s thankful to be alive but is still suffering a week later.


“I’m not going back to work right now because I’m in a lot of pain and depressed,” he told reporters.


“My whole family is suffering the consequences of losing my finger because my work is what puts food on the table,” he added.


One passenger needed 14 stitches after the attack, but it could have been much worse for her if Deleon had not intervened, said Fernando Mateo, head of the New York State Federation of Taxi Drivers.


“To us he is a hero because if it wasn’t for him and his intervention, God knows if someone would’ve been killed,” he said.


Mateo and other Deleon supporters were furious that Guzman is out on ,000 bail.


“He’s laughing at the justice system,” Mateo said. “He’s laughing at the victims that he injured and this is something that we don’t know or understand how it could happen.”


After his release from jail, Mateo said Guzman posted on Facebook how happy he was to be home for Thanksgiving dinner.


Guzman also claims the authorities are unfairly charging him and Sanchez, saying authorities were trying to make them look “like animals,” according to a screen grab of the Facebook post shared by Mateo.


The posts have since been deleted.


On Sunday, Deleon’s older sister, Fary, 48, said she’s happy her brother is still alive.


“We just want justice,” she said. “What they did to my brother is not fair. He was working. He didn’t hurt nobody.”


Fary Deleon and others want to make sure the teens are punished so they can’t hurt others.


“We don’t want no other family to go through what we’re going through right now,” she said.


The teens — who were caught close to the cab — face charges of assault and criminal possession of a weapon.

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Continue reading »

Nov 26, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: CARIBBEAT: Activist, 10, makes appeal to Trump for Haitians


The Trump administration’s plans to finally terminate Temporary Protected Status designation for Haiti rocked advocates, organizations— and the close to 60,000 men women and children who face deportation and separation in the wake of the move.


But words from 10-year-old Ronyde Christina Ponthieux of Florida have invigorated opponents of the move and given encouragement to the young and old who would be affected.


Protests in New York and other cities began after last Monday’s announcement. But news of an eloquent, personal video appeal from young Ponthieux— aimed directly at President Trump— was echoed around the world and encouraged opponents of the move. The young girl’s father works as a nurse in a Florida hospital and wound be deported when the program ends.


“We are not criminals. Like my parents, like your parents, like you, they are hardworking honest people who just want a safe place to raise their families,” the seasoned young activist said in her video to Trump. “They have deep roots in their communities; they pay taxes; they contribute to the social, economic and political fabric of this great nation.”

NYC rally held over Trump ending temporary residency for Haitians


The protected status allowed Haitians to live work in the U.S. following the 2010 earthquake, one of several natural disasters that have kept the nation unprepared to accept the Haitians here — who sent millions of dollars to aid relatives and friends in the Caribbean nation. The benefit has been extended one last time— until July 2019 — “to give Haitians time to prepare to return home,” say federal officials.


Opponents of the decision, including Democrats and Republicans in Congress, are vowing to seek legislative solutions for the Haitians. Younger Haitians, born here as American citizens, may be separated from their parents if it is enacted.


Homeland Security said it will end the protected status for Haitians because conditions “improved significantly.” But others argue Haiti’s economy is not ready and the moved would cause hardships for families.


To see Ronyde Christina Ponthieux’s appeal to Trump, visit http://bit.ly/ronydetotrump

CARIBBEAT: Jamaica’s Michael Manley to be celebrated in Bronx


DUAL PHOTO EXHIBITS


There are tons of memories and new-found treasures for patrons of “Jamel Shabazz: Black Documents,” an exhibition documenting black New York from the 1970s to the present-day.


Paired with “Black Documents: Freedom,” a powerful and moving group show counterbalancing the plethora of images misrepresenting black lives in America, the two exhibits will be on display in the Bronx at the Andrew Freedman Home, 1125 Grand Concourse (at 166th St.), through Dec. 15.


The five photographers— Laylah Amatullah Barrayn, Lola Flash, Danny Ramon Peralta, Edwin Torres, and Michael Young— will be featured in an artists’ talk on Thursday from 6 pm. to 8 p.m.

Trump has let down more than 50,000 Haitians in America


And a talk on Dec. 7, starting a 6 p.m., will feature Jamal and exhibition curator Laura James. The exhibitions are presented by the nonprofit Literary Freedom Project arts organization. For information, visit www.blackdocuments.com.

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Continue reading »

Nov 25, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: SEE IT: Teen muggers mock Bronx victim before beating him for $10


Three teenagers accused of mugging a man in the lobby of a Bronx apartment building for mocked him before delivering a beatdown, cops said Saturday.


The crooks started harassing their victim at about 2:40 a.m. Tuesday at a Morris Houses building on E. 169th St. and Third Avenue in Morrisania, surveillance footage reveals.


The 56-year-old victim put up his fists and prepared to square off with one of his attackers, who dropped his hands and flashed a broad smile, video shows.


He pleaded for peace with another teen taunting him with mimicked martial arts, while the smirking crook circled in from behind to deliver a vicious right hook that dropped him to the floor.


One of the teens ran out of the lobby and returned with a buddy to keep beating the victim as he lay on the ground just off camera.


Moments later, an attacker in the doorway runs back to deliver a kick to the back of his head.


The terrifying trio then ran off with from the man’s wallet, cops said.


The victim, who is a resident of a nearby building in the Morris Houses, refused medical attention, sources said.


The attackers are described as black, about 17 and 5-foot-6 to 5-foot-8.


The first suspect wore acid washed blue jeans, white sneakers, a royal blue t-shirt and blue hooded sweatshirt.


The second wore a royal blue hooded sweatshirt, black jeans, blue bomber jacket and beige boots.


The final suspect wore light blue jeans, beige boots, dark blue hooded sweatshirt and white T-shirt.


Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at (800) 577-TIPS.

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Continue reading »

Nov 23, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: Female ex-guard says her accuser’s sex assault claims are ‘false’


An ex-guard at a Bronx juvenile detention center who’s accused of having sex with a 15-year-old inmate has turned the tables — claiming her young accuser’s claims are “false” and demanding he cough up cash, court papers reveal.


Natalie Medford, 46, was accused in a lawsuit of telling a former Horizon Juvenile Center inmate he’d get special treatment if he “took care of her needs.” He was promised access to her cell phone, extra food and disciplinary leniency, court papers show.


Medford’s accuser said he was 15 when she performed oral sex and had unprotected intercourse with him. He also claims in court papers that Medford assaulted him “on at least three or four occasions.”


Medford — who quit in November 2014 after the city Department of Investigation launched an investigation — now claims in court papers that his allegations are “false.”

Teacher indicted for sex with multiple students


Because of his statements, Medford “has suffered special harm,” according to her Nov. 7 court filing.


Medford, 46, wants the presiding judge, Alison Nathan, to toss the suit and asks for unspecified financial compensation “to be determined at trial.”


Medford’s lawyer declined additional comment.


Asked about the filing, the city Law Department, which is not representing Medford, said in a statement that “ACS has zero tolerance for any abuse or maltreatment of juvenile residents within its facilities. The City will respond to the allegations in the complaint on the date set by the Court.”

NYC detention center sued over reports of sex attacks on inmates


Asked about Medford’s counter-claim, Vik Pawar, who represents the then 15-year-old teen, called the legal challenge “unconscionable.”


“That Medford would sexually assault a minor and then file claims against him for speaking out,” Pawar said.


Pawar charged in the Aug. 30 Manhattan Federal Court lawsuit against Medford and the city — as well as other past and present Horizon staffers — that his client and other detainees were forced to have sexual contact with guards between 2013 to 2014.

Tags:
daily news exclusives
crimes against children
sex crimes
mott haven

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Continue reading »

Nov 23, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: Attacker bites woman’s lip after knocking her out in Bronx park

Sorry, readability was unable to parse this page for content.

Continue reading »

Nov 22, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: Four injured in science experiment gone wrong at Bronx school


Four people were critically injured when a school science experiment went awry early Wednesday in the Bronx, officials said.


The mishap took place at about 8:35 a.m. in the St. Catharine Academy on Williamsbridge Road near Astor Ave. in Allerton.


All four injured were identified as students by WABC-7. Two were critically injured and two were in stable condition.


FDNY officials said there was no fire.


The school was founded in 1889 and is sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas. It has an enrollment of about 470.

Tags:
allerton
fdny

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Continue reading »

Pages:«12345678...352»