Amazon.com Widgets
Browsing articles in "Bronx News"
Jun 6, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: Man wanted for attempted rape of woman in Bronx park


A man badgering a 26-year-old woman for sex followed her into a Bronx park and tried raping her, police said Monday.


The woman told cops the attempted rapist asked her to pleasure him in exchange for cash during a terrifying nighttime encounter on May 29.


She said no, but he followed her into a nearby park around Southern Blvd. and Mosholu Parkway during the attack, which took place between 11 p.m. and 1:30 a.m.


He managed to unbutton her pants as she walked away, prompting her to fall to the ground. She got up and the man continued to follow her, reaching into her shirt and groping her breasts, police said.


The bearded creep then left the park, police said.


The victim said her assailant was Hispanic, in his late 20s and was 5-foot-9 to 5-foot-11 with a slim build.


He was last seen wearing a gray hoodie and sweatpants with black sneakers.


Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.

Tags:
new york rapes

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Continue reading »

Jun 6, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: Bronx victim of knife attack opens fire with gun in response

Sorry, readability was unable to parse this page for content.

Continue reading »

Jun 5, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: Boy, 5, shot in the head in the Bronx


A 5-year-old boy celebrating his birthday with his dad was shot in the head and critically wounded in the Bronx Monday, police sources said.


The boy was with his father as they exited the dad’s Morrisania apartment on Washington Ave. near E. 167th St. about 5 p.m., police said.


The duo was headed to the father’s car to drive the just-turned-5-year-old back home to his mom, police sources said.


But they got caught between two feuding men on the sidewalk, police sources said.

Bronx family grieves on first Mother’s Day since mom shot, killed


A Hispanic man in a white T-shirt approached a second man on the sidewalk and started shooting, police said.


Video caught the chaotic scene as the suspected shooter took off, running south on Washington Ave., police sources said.


The stunned father, realizing his son had been hit in the head by a stray bullet, rushed him to nearby St. Barnabas Hospital.


The boy was later transferred to Columbia-Presbyterian Center, where he remains in critical condition.


“The dad was putting the boy in the car,” confirmed NYPD Assistant Chief Larry Nikunen.


“We’re trying to ID the suspects through video. One person was shooting at another individual on the sidewalk behind us,” said Nikunen.


In the video, the frightened boy can be seen trying to back away from the two men just before the shooting began, according to police sources.


The assistant chief said at least four shots were fired.


Police recovered several bullet casings at the scene, sources said.


No arrests had been made, police said.

Tags:
gun violence
morrisania
crimes against children

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Continue reading »

Jun 5, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: Two people hurt in hit-and-run incidents in the Bronx, Manhattan

Sorry, readability was unable to parse this page for content.

Continue reading »

Jun 5, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: Bronx man sues arresting officer after acquittal in pipe attack


A Bronx man who spent more than two years in jail before he was acquitted of a pipe attack is suing the arresting officer, claiming he couldn’t have picked up the weapon in the first place — because he doesn’t have enough fingers.


Keith Mitchell says he lost the middle and ring fingers of his right hand to frostbite in 1993 when he was homeless. The index and pinkie fingers, as well as thumb of his right hand, remain curled.


“I can’t tie my shoes right,” Mitchell, 64, told the Daily News in an exclusive interview. “I can’t do the belt. I can’t carry things. I use one finger.”


Mitchell says NYPD Detective Brianna Constantino tried to pin a 2014 burglary and pipe attack in Fordham Heights on him — knowing he was “not physically capable of committing the crime” because the perpetrator was right-handed, according to the lawsuit.


Constantino, the only defendant in Mitchell’s lawsuit, did not respond to requests for comment. The city Law Department, the NYPD and the Bronx district attorney’s office also declined comment.


On the evening of Aug. 26, 2014, two men were spotted at a home under construction on E. 187th St. and Bathgate Ave. They snatched tools and copper pipe, police said. When they were leaving — carrying large, heavy bags filled with copper pipe — a neighborhood handyman watching the house confronted them.


The handyman told cops one of the men used his right hand to swing a copper pipe at him, according to the civil suit filed last month.


When the handyman met with Constantino at the 48th Precinct stationhouse on Sept. 5, she showed him dozens of photographs — including three of Mitchell, according to the court transcript and lawsuit.


The handyman passed over Mitchell the first time his photo popped up, the suit claims. The second time, the handyman said his “brain” pointed him to Mitchell’s photo, according to a transcript from the criminal trial obtained by The News.


Constantino, 34, told the handyman his brain did that “for a reason,” but he said Mitchell was the wrong guy. The handyman also wavered after Mitchell’s photo appeared a third time, but Constantino said he was right — prompting the handyman to make a bogus ID, according to the suit. The detective arrested Mitchell on Sept. 8.


“She couldn’t fingerprint me,” Mitchell recalled, explaining Constantino and her partner struggled to open his clenched hand at the stationhouse.


The handyman picked Mitchell out of a lineup after his arrest, but none of the other men presented looked like him, charges the civil suit, filed by Debra Greenberger of the law firm Emery Celli Brinckerhoff & Abady LLP.


A judge set Mitchell’s bail at 0,000. Mitchell couldn’t pay, so he was held on Rikers Island. When Mitchell’s trial began two years later, Constantino repeatedly testified she couldn’t remember whether he was missing fingers, transcripts of the proceedings show.


The handyman testified he wasn’t sure of Mitchell’s involvement until he saw his photo a third time — becoming more convinced each time he saw the image, according to trial transcripts. Justice Nicholas Iacovetta, who presided over the case, asked whether he was sure because of his judgment, or because of the detective.


“Because of me and then the detective told me, ‘That’s him, let’s print it,’ ” the handyman testified.


After Iacovetta asked the question again, the handyman replied, “Because I thought it was the person.”


When contacted by The News last week, the handyman insisted Constantino didn’t push him to identify Mitchell, adding that he hesitated out of fear.


“I’m sure but I’m still scared because, I don’t know, maybe tomorrow he’ll come back and do something to me because he knows me now,” he said.


A jury cleared Mitchell of all charges on Oct 19. He has no violent criminal history in New York, records show.


“I stayed in jail so long,” said Mitchell, who is seeking unspecified damages in the lawsuit. “I just don’t want this to happen to anyone else.”

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Continue reading »

Jun 4, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: Man found fatally shot behind Bronx home


A man was murdered in the Bronx Saturday night, officials said.


Police found Melshawn Cook, 24, behind a house on Wheeler Ave. near Westchester Ave. in Soundview around 9:45 p.m., officials said.


Cook, who lived about a mile away in Foxhurst, had been shot once in the right side of his chest, cops said.


Medics brought the man to Jacobi Medical Center, where he died, according to authorities.


There were no immediate arrests, officials said.

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Continue reading »

Jun 4, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: CARIBBEAT: Tech for Virgin Islands during Caribbean Week in NYC


With the Caribbean Week in New York as a platform, members of the University of the Virgin Islands Research and Technology Park will be in town from St. Croix this week courting companies and touting the facility’s benefits at an invitation-only “Big Apple VIP Investment Showcase Reception.”


Introducing business leaders and key members of New York’s Caribbean diaspora to the 15-year-old specialist economic development agency known as UVI RTPark, is the goal of Thursday’s reception in Manhattan.


RTPark Executive Director Gillian Marcelle (photo) is leading the New York trip and delivering the message that RTPark and the U.S. Virgin Islands are premier business destinations of “firms in knowledge and technology,” including bio-medical, energy research, wellness and healthcare management, internet advertising, and technology-mediated companies.


For information about the UVI RTPark, send email info@uvirtpark.net or call (340) 692-4300. Visit RTPark on Facebook as UviRtpark and Twitter at @UVI_RTPark


Benefit for Jamaica farmers


The “Caribbean Farmers Market” and “Jerk Roots and Yam Fundraiser,” to aid farmers and agricultural efforts in Jamaica, will be held next June 11 in Queens at Roy Wilkins Park.


Dr. Julius Garvey, son of Jamaica National Hero Marcus Garvey; Ky-Mani Marley, son of reggae great Bob Marley; dub poet Mutabaruka and popular comedian Maja Hype are some of the celebrities supporting the benefit for Farm Up Jamaica organization’s Farmer Assistance Fund.


Children under 12 are admitted free. Visit www.farmupjamaica.com for tickets and information or send email to farmupjamaica@gmail.com.


Culture & fun fete


State Sen. Jesse Hamilton and the West Indian American Day Carnival Association are co-hosting a free “Movies Under the Stars: Caribbean Culture Jam Film Fun and Fete” with carnival headpiece making and more on Friday in Park Slope, Brooklyn at Old Stone Park, Third Ave., between Fourth and Fifth Aves. Bring blankets and chairs. For information, call (718) 284-4700 or send email to hamilton@nysenate.gov.


Under-40 honors


The Caribbean is well represented in the 2017 honorees of the Network Journal business magazine’s 40 Under Forty Awards Dinner coming to Crowne Plaza Hotel Times Square Manhattan hotel’s Broadway Ballroom on June 15.


Awardees at the 20th annual affair are recognized for their outstanding careers, entrepreneurial leadership and community service.


The Crowne Plaza Hotel Times Square Manhattan is at 1605 Broadway (between 48th and 49th Sts.). Individual tickets are 0 on or before June 9 and 0 afterwards. For tickets and information, visit www.tnj.com.

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Continue reading »

Jun 3, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: Bronx students reveal table artwork focusing on social issues


Bronx middle schoolers unveiled a series of exquisitely painted lunchroom tables on Friday that will be on display this summer at parks across the city.


The large-scale public artworks from students at Intermediate School 219 New Venture and Community School 211 focus on such issues as bullying, gun violence and gender inequality.


The massive canvases will be on display at 10 city parks, including Claremont Park in the Bronx and Union Square in Manhattan, through August.

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Continue reading »

Jun 3, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: Cops hunt man who tried to rape 11-year-old boy in Bronx park


Police are looking for a man who attempted to rape an 11-year-old boy after threatening the child with a knife and forcing him to enter a Bronx park, cops said Saturday.


The boy told police a teenager grabbed him from behind as he walked on Magenta St. near White Plains Road in Williamsbridge about 3:15 p.m. Tuesday.


The attacker reportedly told the boy he had a knife and led him three blocks west to Bronx Park, according to police.


Inside the park, the man forced the boy onto the ground and pulled the boy’s pants down, authorities said. Fortunately, the boy was able to fight off his attacker, who bolted from the park.

NYPD investigates two attempted rapes in the Bronx


The attacker punched the boy in the face during the scuffle, but his injuries were not serious, officials said.


Surveillance photos released by police show the attacker walking on Magenta St. with his arm around the victim, whose image is obscured.


The suspect is described as light skinned, 17 to 19 years old, with a thin build and braces on his teeth. He was last seen wearing a blue hooded sweatshirt, white and blue sneakers and blue jeans.

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Continue reading »

Jun 2, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: Arrest made in fatal shooting of man, 28, outside Bronx club


Police have arrested a suspect they say shot a 28-year-old man to death after an argument outside a notorious Bronx club, officials said Friday.


Cops charged 21-year-old Abdiel Martinez-Linares with the murder of Rameez Maragh, who was blasted in the chest, left arm, and right thigh leaving the Truth Bar on Bronxwood Ave. near E. 221st St. in Williamsbridge about 4 a.m. Wednesday.


The victim was arguing with Martinez-Linares and 23-year-old Dashawn Palmer when Martinez-Linares whipped out a .380-caliber pistol and shot Maragh, according to cops.


Friends loaded Maragh into a car and rushed him to Jacobi Medical Center, where he died


Palmer, who did two years in prison on a robbery conviction in 2013, was taken into custody at the scene. He was charged with murder for his collusion with Martinez-Linares when the victim was shot, according to cops.


Cops caught up with Martinez-Linares at his apartment in the Parkside Houses in Allerton around 2:35 p.m. Thursday, cops said.


The Truth Bar used to be named Club Mystique and was listed on the NYPD’s 10 most notorious clubs.


In 2014, a gunman shot a bouncer at Club Mystique in the back. A woman rushed the bouncer to Jacobi Medical Center, where he was treated and released.


That same year, Bronx Narcotics investigators raided the club, handing out two summonses, officials said.

Tags:
gun violence
nypd
williamsbridge
new york murders

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Continue reading »

Jun 2, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: Ex-con who robbed Bronx granny gets up to 14 years in prison


A parolee who posed as a good Samaritan to rob an elderly woman inside the elevator of her Bronx building will spend up to 14 years behind bars for the heartless crime.


Homer Griffin, 51, held a razor blade to the 81-year-old disabled woman’s face on March 3, and threatened to “cut” her if she didn’t give up her money.


A Bronx judge sentenced him to two consecutive 3 1/2 to seven-year prison terms for robbery and weapon possession on Thursday.


The victim, who walks with a cane, told the Daily News that Griffin offered to help her, picked up her shopping cart and put it in the elevator of her Mt. Eden building, on Grand Concourse near Marcy Place.

Man held in elevator robbery of Bronx grandmother


He turned on her in a flash, she said. He got in her face and growled, “Don’t say a word. Don’t say anything or I’ll cut you up. I just want your money. I’ll cut you up. I know where you live.”


Police released video of the robbery, and cops arrested him on March 7.

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Continue reading »

Jun 2, 2017
admin

BRONX NEWS: Ex-Bronx priest dodges charges of sexually abusing boy in 1980


A sex abuse investigation involving a former Bronx priest has been quietly closed with no charges filed, the Daily News has learned.


Police sources said no criminal charges will be brought against the Rev. Anthony Giuliano, who had been accused of molesting a 15-year-old boy at Holy Rosary Church in Baychester in the 1980s.


“All the leads in the investigation were exhausted,” a police source said. “It was not determined that a crime had taken place.”


Even if detectives found enough evidence to warrant charges, Giuliano couldn’t be prosecuted because of the statute of limitations on child sex abuse cases in New York — meaning the alleged crime committed by the man of the cloth would forever go unpunished.

Child sex abuse vic: Church settlement won’t ease assault pain


Victims of child sex abuse have until age 23 to bring a criminal or civil case.


The Daily News launched a campaign last year to pressure officeholders to support the Child Victims Act.


The accuser told Bronx Special Victims Squad detectives that he was working in the church rectory between 1987 and 1988 when Giuliano befriended him. They used to play wrestle, he said.


During one session, the priest allegedly told him to lie down on the ground, pulled the teen’s pants and underwear down and molested him, police sources said.

Brooklyn DA hopeful Dwimoh backs passage of child sex-abuse law


Giuliano was running two parishes in Dutchess County — about 85 miles from Manhattan — in August when his victim, now 43, told cops what happened.


“This is a shock,” the priest told the Daily News when the allegations surfaced. “It never happened.”


As a result, Giuliano was removed from the churches and prohibited from acting as a priest, officials from the New York Archdiocese said.


“The entire matter has to be carefully reviewed by the archdiocesan Lay Review Board,” spokesman Joseph Zwilling said. “That takes some time to complete.”

Child sex abuse victims cannot wait any longer


Until the review is done, Giuliano is prohibited from working as a priest, Zwilling said.


Giuliano hung up on a reporter when reached for comment Thursday. His alleged victim also did not return a call for comment.


So far, seven men abused by priests have been paid nearly million total through a settlement program founded by Timothy Cardinal Dolan. The abuse survivors were all part of phase one of the settlement program, which was restricted to victims who had made previously documented allegations of abuse to the archdiocese. Phase two, which is open to anyone who was allegedly abused as a child by a priest or deacon in the Archdiocese of New York, is underway and has a July 31 deadline.

With Rocco Parascandola

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Continue reading »

Pages:«123456789...308»